Website UN Global Compact SA
POSITION TITLE: PROJECT MANAGER
CONTRACT TERM: 1 YEAR
REPORTS TO: PROGRAM MANAGER
The UN Global Compact Network is the world’s largest corporate sustainability initiative. The organisation calls on companies to align strategies and operations with universal principles on human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption, and take actions that advance societal goals. The multi-year strategy of the UN Global Compact is to drive business awareness and action in support of achieving the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030.
The Global Compact Network South Africa is an independent Network of the UN Global Compact; working with companies in South Africa to advance the Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact and Sustainable Development Goals. The Ten Principles are in the areas of Human Rights, Labour, Environmental Protection and Anti-Corruption.
Purpose of Job
GCN SA supports company implementation of the UN Global Compact Ten Principles and the following Global Impact Initiatives: SDG Ambition; Target Gender Equality; Young SDG Innovators Programme and; SDG Pioneers Programme.
The organisation requires a Project Manager to execute the delivery of the SDGs and Target Gender Equality Projects. Key aspects of the role include Project Management; Project Fundraising; Technical Support to companies; Monitoring, Evaluation & Reporting.
- Ensure that project interventions for participating companies are planned and implemented for maximum impact; ensuring compliance with agreed targets and quality of project outputs;
- Build and maintain stakeholder relations;
- Identify project resource needs and possible funding partnership opportunities; develop funding proposals to secure required project resources.
- Monitor project expenditures and ensure compliance with approved budget, reviewing expenditure reports on a monthly basis;
- Ensure proper management of project database, records, files and e-mail for audit and institutional memory;
- Submit accurate project reports on time to the Program Manager;
- Supervision of staff to ensure delivery of work as planned; performing regular staff appraisals.
- Ensure that approved reports are communicated & disseminated to stakeholders;
- Integrity: Demonstrates the values of the United Nations in daily activities and behaviours; acts without consideration of personal gain; resists undue political pressure in decision-making; does not abuse power or authority; stands by decisions that are in the Organization’s interest, even if they are unpopular; and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Respect for Diversity: Works effectively with people from all backgrounds; treats all people with dignity and respect; treats men and women equally; shows respect for and understanding of diverse points of view and demonstrates this understanding in daily work and decision-making; examines own biases and behaviours to avoid stereotypical responses; and does not discriminate against any individual or group.
Required Skills & Capabilities
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Research Skills: Ability to identify and resolve a range of issues/problems and to work well with figures, undertake basic research and gather information from standard sources.
- Facilitation and public speaking Skills: Ability to design and deliver value to participating companies through trainings, webinars and dialogues.
- Good Judgement: Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Bachelor’s Degree with Honours in a relevant field in Corporate Sustainability/Development Studies/Business Studies/Policy Studies. A master’s Degree will be an added advantage.
- At least 7 (Seven) years equivalent work experience in the corporate sustainability space; in academia or business organisation.
- Knowledge and experience in program management and integration of sustainability into business.
- Enthusiasm for the business role in society; the Ten Principles; Sustainable Development Goals and the opportunity they present to business.
- Proven ability to implement integrated and multidimensional projects. Ability to facilitate business meetings and training.
- Ability to develop and maintain close relationships with various stakeholders.
- Self-starter, with strong multi-tasking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Must be very dependable and detail oriented.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess personal and professional demeanor as well as sound judgment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access).
How to Apply: Interested qualified candidates to submit applications to: [email protected]
Deadline: Friday 21 February 2020
More information can be accessed at: www.globalcompactsa.org.za
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com